Mike Leone on Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:17:07 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS issues preventing my mail server from working

gabriel rosenkoetter (gr@eclipsed.net) had this to say on 10/02/03 at 16:04:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 03:26:18PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> > I will try. ... YES! That works. Now, here's another wrinkle .. at the
> > moment, primary local DNS is Win2K (don't ask).
>
> Don't need to. Win2k implies Active Directory, implies "hostnames
> starting with _" as well as "I *so* need to be the primary DNS, or
> I'll go make a horrible mess of your DDNS zone files! Ha ha!"
>
> > I will just make this
> > machine secondary (I just edit that into named.conf, and change "primary" to
> > "secondary", rihgt?),
>
> Neither "primary" nor "secondary" appear in my named.conf; rather
> I've got "master" and "slave". A zone for which a given BIND
> instance is a "slave" needs to have a masters {} block listing the
> IP addresses of the hosts from which to retrieve the zone. You'll
> also need to be sure that the master permits your doing named-xfers
> from the BIND host (no clue how you configure that in AD's DNS
> server).

I'll look into that, thanks.

> > and then have the mail server /etc/resolv.conf point
> > to itself first, and then the Win2K DNS (I'm not sure if that trick will
> > work on a Win2K box).
>
> I guess. But if the Win2k box is the primary DNS, why aren't you
> pointing at it?
>
> If the problem here is that the zone on the Win2k box lacks the A
> record I told you to add, go fix the real problem over there, since
> lacking that A record will break plenty of other things too.

Yeah, it did lack it, and I couldn't (quickly) see a way to add a record
like that via the GUI. So I did what I would do under Linux - added it to
the plain text file that holds the zone info, and restarted the service. And
now it seems to work out.

root@handyman:/home/mjl# nslookup contributionship.com
Note:  nslookup is deprecated and may be removed from future releases.
Consider using the ig' or ost' programs instead.  Run nslookup with
the -sil[ent]' option to prevent this message from appearing.
Server:         192.168.1.241
Address:        192.168.1.241#53

Name:   contributionship.com
Address: 192.168.1.241