gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:06:14 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS issues preventing my mail server from working

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 03:26:18PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> I will try. ... YES! That works. Now, here's another wrinkle .. at the
> moment, primary local DNS is Win2K (don't ask).

Don't need to. Win2k implies Active Directory, implies "hostnames
starting with _" as well as "I *so* need to be the primary DNS, or
I'll go make a horrible mess of your DDNS zone files! Ha ha!"

> I will just make this
> machine secondary (I just edit that into named.conf, and change "primary" to
> "secondary", rihgt?),

Neither "primary" nor "secondary" appear in my named.conf; rather
I've got "master" and "slave". A zone for which a given BIND
instance is a "slave" needs to have a masters {} block listing the
IP addresses of the hosts from which to retrieve the zone. You'll
also need to be sure that the master permits your doing named-xfers
from the BIND host (no clue how you configure that in AD's DNS
server).

> and then have the mail server /etc/resolv.conf point
> to itself first, and then the Win2K DNS (I'm not sure if that trick will
> work on a Win2K box).

I guess. But if the Win2k box is the primary DNS, why aren't you
pointing at it?

If the problem here is that the zone on the Win2k box lacks the A
record I told you to add, go fix the real problem over there, since
lacking that A record will break plenty of other things too.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net