epike on Thu, 2 Oct 2003 16:09:06 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS issues preventing my mail server from working

hi

yur probably just missing some

exchange IN A
ns       IN A

records here.  putting A for the domain name
probably just makes your mail go to domain.com
but not to exchange.domain.com.  My feeling is
it cant find the host "exchange" and just
defaults to sending it to the domain name,
if thats also a host. (nothing wrong with
that though, if the domain name address also
happens to receive mail).

re: secondary, secondary name servers are also
authoritative for the domain so if a host.domain.com
is not on the secondary then the query should have
failed (no need to consult the primary dns).

e pike