Mike Leone on Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:38:04 -0400

Re: [PLUG] DNS issues preventing my mail server from working

gabriel rosenkoetter (gr@eclipsed.net) had this to say on 10/02/03 at 15:07:
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 02:54:27PM -0400, Mike Leone wrote:
> > $TTL    38400
> > @       IN      SOA     ns.contributionship.com.
> > hostmaster.contributionship.com. (
> >                         2002070990
> >                                                 3H
> >                                                                         1H
> >
> > 7D
> >                         640M )
> >                         @               IN      TXT
> > "Contributionship.com  internal DNS"
> > @               IN      NS      ns
> > @               IN      MX      10      exchange
> >
> > Any ideas of what I need to change to get this to work?
>
> Adding an A record for contributionship.com might help. What I have
> for eclipsed.net:
>
> $TTL  12H
>
> @ IN  SOA grappa.eclipsed.net. root.grappa.eclipsed.net. (
>       2003072400 ; Serial
>       3H    ; Refresh
>       1H    ; Retry
>       15D   ; Expire
>       12H )   ; Default TTL
>
> @   IN  A   66.92.234.99
> [followed by MX and NS records]

I will try. ... YES! That works. Now, here's another wrinkle .. at the
moment, primary local DNS is Win2K (don't ask). I will just make this
machine secondary (I just edit that into named.conf, and change "primary" to
"secondary", rihgt?), and then have the mail server /etc/resolv.conf point
to itself first, and then the Win2K DNS (I'm not sure if that trick will
work on a Win2K box).

Thanks, Gabe