Jeff Abrahamson on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 11:22:09 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Self-certifying File System

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 11:01:08AM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
>   [10 lines, 72 words, 389 characters]  Top characters: etosniu\n
>
> On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 07:44:03AM -0700, John Fiore wrote:
> > Have you thought about just running NFS over IPSec?
> > If you're just interested in getting files for
> > yourself from home, it sounds like there's a lot in
> > SFS that you don't really need.
>
> Or, since you're an emacs user, have you tried tramp?  It's like
> ange-ftp, except it accesses the files using scp instead of ftp.

Tramp is cool, thanks for reminding me about it. But I think things
will break badly when I try a M-x compile. (Sometimes compiling for me
means running latex.)

With direct file access, on the other hand, there's some risk of a
goofy compile because of different system headers (or fonts), but I
should still get basically correct stuff, and can always compile
locally for the final product, if necessary.

--
 Jeff