Douglas on Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:17:22 -0400

RE: [PLUG] jumpy mouse

I have had a similar problem while swaping mice, I was switching
>From an optical wheel mouse to a vanilla two button type and the
mouse went nuts. It was bad on x but even worse on the consoles,
I didn't have the patience to fight it so I left it, but I imagine
(not sure at all really) running kudzu or the debian equivalent
With no mouse (removing the mouse settings) and again with the mouse
Plugged in might help. Perhaps you just selected the wrong mouse
type during installation? Whatever...good luck!
-Douglas

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Jeff Abrahamson
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 7:16 AM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org

On Mon, Oct 06, 2003 at 08:56:40AM -0400, Alex Birch wrote:
>   [24 lines, 114 words, 880 characters]  Top characters: _entisao
>
> Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> >After wiping Redhat from a machine and installing debian stable, I'm
> >seeing random mouse events: the mouse cursor jumps across the screen,
> >selections appear and disappear, menus become activated by phantom
> >clicks. This is not only inconvenient, it is dangerous. (Random text
> >pasted in xterms is bad.)
> >
> >I've tried changing mice, thinking the mouse just happened to go
> >bad. But that didn't solve the problem.
> >
> >Any thoughts on what to try next?
> >

> First run gpm -k as root... then go into your /etc/rc file and get rid
> of the 20gpm file.

Excellent idea, but there's no gpm:

    krypton:/etc/init.d# apt-cache search gpm
    gpm - General Purpose Mouse Interface
    krypton:/etc/init.d# dpkg -l gpm

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)

+++-==============-==============-==========================================
==
    un  gpm            <none>         (no description available)
    krypton:/etc/init.d# ps ax | grep gpm
     7303 pts/1    S      0:00 grep gpm
    krypton:/etc/init.d# ls *gpm*
    ls: *gpm*: No such file or directory