Paul on 7 Oct 2003 19:00:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux vs. Windows Viruses

Arthur S. Alexion wrote:

I am not too excited about getting antivirus companies involved in Linux. As an avid Palm OS user, I was recenly involved in an online debate regarding Palm OS viruses. there haven't been any "confirmed" real ones. None the less three Antivirus companies marketed Palm OS AV software in the fall of 2000. To market it, they spread a virus scare via press releases talking about a "virus that had been submitted anonymously to their testing labs". According to the press releases, the virus had not been spotted "in the wild". It is widely believed in the Palm OS community that the virus was designed by either Symantec or F-Prot in order to launch this marketing push. Would you want that kind of conduct aimed a Linux?

Yes, but in an open, cooperative manner. GNU/Linux needs to be proven to be virus resistant, either by design or by the use of anti-virus software. We can't prove anything by ignoring the possible threat, or by reasoning the threat away.

Think of ssh. Many people seemed to assume that only allowing incoming ssh connections is a safe practice. It can be if we are aware of the possible exploits and we defend against them.