Paul on 8 Oct 2003 15:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Attempt at notebook install

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

When it rebooted after the install, it locked up after it told me it was starting up PCMCIA. It had already started up the network card, so it said, which seems odd to me since the network card is PCMCIA... I'd think it would need to start PCMCIA first.

In any case, that's as far as it gets every time. Since I can't seem to boot far enough to do anything, I'm not sure how to solve this problem. I'd consider trying the install again, but that's kind of a pain to do when I don't have any clue what I did wrong the first time.

I don't think you did anything wrong. In fact, I think you found the problem. The boot order is wacky. Have pcmcia start *before* network. What I would do (in RedHat 9.0 or Fedora Core) is boot into single user mode, cd to /etc/rc3.d, change the start order, then reboot. For example, if you see "S10network" make sure pcmcia has a lower number like S09pcmcia. If it doesn't just do a move command to rename the symbolic link. Example, "mv S15pcmcia S09pcmcia".