Paul on 8 Oct 2003 19:31:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Attempt at notebook install

Jeffrey J. Nonken wrote:

hmm. pcmcia doesn't have its own file, it's called by S10Network.

I'm glad you found the solution in the BIOS!

More than you need to know...pcmcia card services is initialized in a seperate script in RH 9.0, even though the begining of my network script shows the same thing as yours. Notice that both scripts read the configs from /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia. Also, notice the start order and runlevels. Both are set to start in runlevels 2, 3, 4, and 5. network is given the values S10 and K90. pcmcia is given the values S24 and K96. That means the network script is in fact started and killed before the pcmcia script. (Sorry for the mis-guidence in my quick response.)

From /etc/init.d/network:

# chkconfig: 2345 10 90

if [ ! -f /etc/sysconfig/network ]; then
   exit 0
fi

. /etc/sysconfig/network

if [ -f /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia ]; then
       . /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
fi

From /etc/init.d/pcmcia:

# chkconfig: 2345 24 96

# Source PCMCIA configuration, if available
if [ -f /etc/pcmcia.conf ] ; then
   # Debian startup option file
   . /etc/pcmcia.conf
elif [ -f /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia ] ; then
   # Red Hat startup option file
   . /etc/sysconfig/pcmcia
else