Stephen Gran on 16 Oct 2003 14:31:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux on a toshiba laptop

On Wed, Oct 15, 2003 at 07:45:43PM -0400, Erik Osheim said:
> 1. What distro of linux (and what version)? -- I'm really unsure.

I think that's, mostly, up to you.  If she is not particualrly
interested in learning hot to admi a box, be her admin.  AFAICT, the
userland experience is much the same across most distros - the real
differences come with administering it.  Why install something you don't
know well, if you're going to be her first tech reference?  Later, if
she wants to learn the underlying things that run the system, you'll be
in a better position to teach her.

> 2. KDE, GNOME (or other? XFCE??)? -- I'm leaning toward GNOME on this
> one.

Install them all :).  Said partly jokingly, but really - I think I have
about 8 or 10 window managers/desktop environments on my desktop at
home.  I use one, my girlfriend another, my sister another, and so on.
Just set it up with gdm or kdm, so she can try playing with the
different environments, and let her make up her mind about what she
likes.

I'd try to keep using the laptop seperate from administering the laptop
in your mind.  Somebody is going to have fix the things that don't work,
and if you have to learn some new silly obfuscatory tool like Yast (or
whatever - no particular dig at yast lovers), then that just means more
dowtntime for the laptop.  Using the laptop from day to day, well that's
up to her to decide which tools she likes to do her thing, just like
it's up to you to decide how to do your thing.

Just my 2p,
|  Stephen Gran                  | * joeyh cvs commits his home directory. |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Aaaaaa <drow> eeeeeeek <drow> joeyh:    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | That is simply evil.  Period.           |