M.Simons on 17 Oct 2003 07:14:02 -0400

[PLUG] Help Nonprofits use tech NTEN conf

A number of you are interested in helping Nonprofits use technology (and
promoting Linux, *BSD, or FLOSS in the process...) Following is some good
information on getting involved with this local Philadelphia conference in
a way that allows us to really be able to shape the conference outlook.

BTW, if anybody wants to help a nonprofit immediately, I know a good one
that can use some help. ;)  Drop me a line.

======

Hello All,

If you haven't heard by now, the N-TEN Nonprofit Technology Conference
(formerly known as the N-TEN RoundUP) is coming to Philadelphia, PA!  If you
haven't heard about the conference, here is a little bit of information
about it:

What is the Nonprofit Technology Conference? It's the premier annual event
for anyone interested in helping nonprofits make more effective use of
technology to achieve their missions. The Conference will be your best
opportunity to meet peers and build relationships, share resources and
ideas, and learn more about what's happening in the nonprofit technology
field. The 2004 Nonprofit Technology Conference will be held in
Philadelphia, PA on Thursday, March 25th through Saturday, March 27th, 2004.

More in depth information regarding the N-TEN Nonprofit Technology
Conference (formerly known as the RoundUP) can be viewed at
http://www.nten.org/roundup.

Why you should get involved!

N-TEN is hosting a telephone conference regarding setting the agenda for the
conference next Wednesday, October 15, 2003 at 12 NOON.   To join the
conference planning mailing list, please visit
http://list.nten.org/lists/info/roundupplanning.  The agenda can't be set
without the help of important people such as yourself!   If you are
interested in participating on this telephone conference, please email Ed
Batista @ ed@nten.org so that enough space can be reserved for the telephone
conference.

Specifically, the following topic will be addressed, and the "hard core"
planning of the agenda will be started the day after this phone conference.
The main context of the phone conference is to address:

2) WHAT OPPORTUNITIES & CHALLENGES WILL THIS PRESENT?
In a nutshell, N-TEN must strike a balance between developing the larger
nonprofit technology community while continuing to support specific
constituencies within that community.  The 2004 Nonprofit Technology
Conference is expected to attract more than 600 nonprofit leaders and staff,
Circuit Riders and other service providers, funders and vendors from across
the U.S. and beyond.
This will be an incredible opportunity to bring these different
constituencies together to collectively address issues related to nonprofit
technology.  But it also poses a challenge to us as we seek to continue our
community-building efforts, particularly among Circuit Riders and nonprofit
staff.  Our goal is to create some opportunities that will bring everyone
together to address issues we all share in common, while creating additional
space that will allow different constituencies to meet separately and
address issues uniquely important to them.

In addition, the Conference agenda must meet the needs of an increasingly
diverse audience, that not only crosses different organizational
backgrounds, but also encompasses a broad range of technical expertise.  But
the expanded size of the Conference will allow us to offer a more
comprehensive agenda that will meet everyone's needs more effectively.

Please read accordingly and if you feel as though you can contribute, by all
means, please join the phone conference.

Thanks for your time...

Lassain R. Robinson
Strategic Technical Planning & Assessment Coordinator Teaming for Technology
United Way of Southeastern Pennsylvania http://www.uwsepa.org/team4tech
http://www.beehive.org/philly
Phone:  215-665-2590

Please find below the forwarded message from Holly Ross, Director of
Programs at N-TEN.  For those interested in shaping the agenda for the NTC
conference coming to Philadelphia, here is your chance.

Hi folks -

We're kicking off the agenda planning process for the 2004 Nonprofit
Technology Conference (NTC), and we need your input! Please take these two
simple steps to get involved:

<> Review the current list of proposed Conference sessions at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=29390192028

<> Submit your own ideas for Conference sessions at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=17870293901

The rest of this message contains more information on the NTC, our agenda
goals, and the planning process. If you have any questions, please contact
Holly Ross, N-TEN Director of Programs, at holly@nten.org.

CONTENTS:
1) 2004 NTC Overview
2) Conference Agenda Goals
3) Agenda Planning Process

<><><>

1) 2004 NTC OVERVIEW

The 2004 NTC, which will be held March 25-27 in Philadelphia, PA, will
incorporate the N-TEN Roundup and the E-Philanthropy Conference, and will be
presented by N-TEN and co-hosted by Network for Good and United Way of
America. The NTC will be the premier annual event for anyone interested in
helping nonprofits use technology to achieve their missions. For more
information, see the 2004 NTC Home Page at http://www.nten.org/ntc.

<><><>

2) CONFERENCE AGENDA GOALS

<> Develop approximately 36 sessions that will meet the needs of the 600
attendees we're expecting at the Conference.

<> Insure that every session is a high-quality, balanced and objective
presentation.

<> Create session tracks that specifically address our three main
constituencies: A) Nonprofit Technology Assistance Providers (NTAPs), B)
Nonprofit management and program staff, and C) Nonprofit technology staff.

<> Recruit session designers and speakers that reflect the diversity of our
attendees.

<> Do all of this in an open and transparent way.

<><><>

3) AGENDA PLANNING PROCESS

<> PHASE ONE, Gather Input: October 15-November 8 As noted at the top of
this message, we're collecting suggestions for session topics from the
entire NTC community through an online survey.

<> Review the current list of proposed Conference sessions at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/Report.asp?U=29390192028

<> Submit your own ideas for Conference sessions at
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=17870293901

This survey will be open until November 8. After you've submitted your
ideas, please forward this message to your colleagues, and encourage them to
complete the survey. It's really important that we hear from as many people
as possible in this process.

<> PHASE TWO, Review Survey Results: November 10-17 First, we'll hold an
open conference call on November 10 for the community to discuss the
sessions proposed in the survey and answer any questions about them. The
call-in number for the conference call will be distributed via the NTC
Planning Group, http://list.nten.org/lists/info/ntc.

Second, from November 11 through November 17, we'll hold an online vote to
allow the community to rank the proposed sessions in order of preference.
PLEASE NOTE that this will not determine the final Conference agenda, but it
will be one of the most significant factors in making that decision. As with
the conference call, links to the online vote will be distributed via the
NTC Planning Group, http://list.nten.org/lists/info/ntc.

<> PHASE THREE, Finalize Agenda: November 18-25 N-TEN staff will gather all
of the input from the NTC Planning Group and consult with other sets of
stakeholders--the N-TEN Board of Directors, our Conference co-hosts (Network
for Good and United Way of America), the NTC Advisory Committee
(representatives from last year's E-Philanthropy Conference Planning
Committee and other organizations that have pledged to help with the
Conference), and Conference funders--before making the final decision on
agenda sessions. The final agenda will be announced via a number of email
groups and posted to the NTC Agenda page, http://www.nten.org/ntc-agenda.

<> PHASE FOUR, Confirm Session Designers & Speakers, Nov 26-Dec 12 N-TEN
staff will confirm session designers for each session, and those individuals
in turn will confirm the speakers for their specific session.
In some cases, the people who proposed a session topic will have volunteered
to serve as session designers and/or speakers, while in other cases, we will
have to actively recruit designers and speakers for a session.

If you're interested in serving as a session designer or speaker after the
agenda has been announced, please contact Holly Ross at holly@nten.org or
415.397.9000.

<><><>

Any questions? Please feel free to email or call.

Holly

Holly Ross, Director of Programs, N-TEN
Nonprofit Technology Enterprise Network
http://www.nten.org