Tay Phu on 18 Oct 2003 12:07:02 -0400

[PLUG] Getting Connected to the Internet

Hello,

I would like to know how I could connect to the Internet by using my AOL DSL connection in RH 9. I hope it could done by just using AOL network configuration data thru Mozzila. The ICW picked up my pcmcia card and showing activities but I couldn't get connected.

Thanks,

Tay

From: Martin DiViaio <scatterbrained@usermail.com>
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] X server bpp 8
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2003 11:52:34 -0400 (EDT)

What version of rdesktop are you running? The latest version is 1.2.0. If
you are not running that, you should probably upgrade.

If your linux system has enough horsepower, you can run multiple instances
of X. Just switch to a text login prompt with <CTRL><ALT><F2>, login and
startx. The first X session will be on tty 8, DISPLAY 0:0 (<ALT><F8> from
a text tty, <CTRL><ALT><F8> from an X session) and the second will be on
tty 9, DISPLAY 0:1. Beware that some X apps are not DISPLAY aware and may
appear on the wrong X session.

The -bpp option to X is deprecated since XFree86 4.0 in favor of the
-depth option.

Rebuilding rdesktop from source has been mentioned previously. This may be
the way you should go. The build is fairly standard. The program itself is
very small.

If you are RPM bound, the tarball has a spec file in place for automatic
building. The tarball needs to be massaged to get it to work though.

Do the following to build an RPM:

tar xzf rdesktop-1.2.0.tar.gz
mv rdesktop-1.2.0 rdesktop
tar czf rdesktop.tgz rdesktop/
rpmbuild -ta rdesktop.tgz

I've personally used rdesktop since the beginning of August on X running
at 1600x1200 in 32 bit color. It's worked fine.