Jeff Abrahamson on 18 Oct 2003 14:00:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Transfer REALLY large file(s) between Linux and OS X

I went to a talk once by a guy from AT&T or some related Bell company.
He worked on the following problem: so many calls are made every day
that it is a real challenge to move all the billing data around and
have the day's billing data in the right places and in the right
databases before the day was over. Because the next day was going to
come, so you can't take more than 24 hours.

I don't remember the numbers, but if you assumed even 100 bytes per
billing record, you quickly saw that oracle and even many file systems
were going to reach their limits on less than a day's worth of calls.

Anyway, he said they ran into some very low probability events because
of the amount of data they were moving. Things like every few billion
(trillion?) pages copied one page would be wrong, from somewhere else
in the file.

Their solution: checksum the source and destination files after each
copy: confirm that you succeeded, not just that your copy program
returned with status 0.

So if you really care about your data, and especially after the
unexpected problems you've already had, may I suggest you consider
checksumming the file on both ends to make sure you have what you
think you have.

-Jeff