Stephen Gran on 19 Oct 2003 14:20:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Spam

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 01:40:06PM -0400, Bob Schwier said:
> I have a stupid question and I would really like to know.  Spammers
> exist by pissing people off.  Do they really make a profit from it?
> Do the companies that pay them to do their thing really realize a
> profit from this operation?  Do they really get that one response for
> 99 angry deletes that might make it worth while?  bs

One would have to assume so.  It's all economics, in the end, after all,
and spam is just one way to communicate something for sale.  I think
your scale is off by several factors of ten, though - it probably
remains profitable if they make one sale for every million emails sent,
since email is as close to free as makes no difference, at least most
places.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Of ______      course it's the murder   |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | weapon.  Who would frame someone with a |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | fake?                                   |