William H. Magill on 19 Oct 2003 14:14:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] OT: Spam

On Saturday, October 18, 2003, at 03:52 PM, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 07:51:12PM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
Well, I think you'll find most of those email addresses aren't valid in
20 years. For two or three reasons I can name off the top of my head...

I can assure that, assuming I'm still alive and there's been no apocalyptic world change, this email address will still be valid in 20 years. It'll probably still be receiving spam. And I'll probably still be seeing vaguely 5% of the spam it receives, if not less.

I don't use it much anymore, but by original email address at the University is still valid... it has been around for 30 years now.

My acm.org address has been around since they first started offering them, probably about 15 years ago now. I have no intention of changing it. Granted, if I let my dues lapse, it will also, but I don't plan on doing that until I stop typing.

Just as permanent personal cell phone numbers are about to finally become reality. For anyone who uses electronic mail on a serious basis, a permanent email address is not only important, but something which one strives to maintain.

T.T.F.N.
William H. Magill
# Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg
# Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg
# PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a
magill@mcgillsociety.org
magill@acm.org
magill@mac.com