Chris Hedemark on 20 Oct 2003 11:58:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Barry Roomberg wrote:

> Note:  Everything you've said still tells me you are a nubie.  It felt like
> you claimed to be a DBA in your previous post but now you tell me you really
> do almost nothing.  But you are a known nubie who is trying.

But Barry the thing you forget is the job title "DBA" does not carry with
it an assumption of great depth of experience in shell scripting.  You of
all people should be very familiar with the concept of having a DBA who
can't script their way out of a paper bag.  Many times, especially in
start up companies or smaller shops, a sysadmin or a developer who is
least afraid of the RDBMS is shoved forcefully into the role of DBA and
then has to ask questions in forums like this one about what kind of stuff
they need to learn to survive in this new role.

In this rotten job market there are two kinds of people in IT, those who
have lost their jobs, and those who have to do their job plus the jobs of
all the people who were let go.  Gone are the days where you can be a DBA
and just a DBA.  Sysadmins are now asked to be developers and DBA's and
maybe a few other things as well.

Maybe he *is* a newb in the DBA role. So what?  We all started somewhere.