Joseph B. Welsh on 20 Oct 2003 12:02:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 11:40, Barry Roomberg wrote:
> Ahh, that's DIFFERENT!
>
> I always support a known employee's efforts to do more for the current company
> and save them money.  Which is different from your initial description.

Sorry, I thought I was clear that I was asked if I wanted to take over
the job.

> The "Coriolis Perl Black Book" (this big one, not the handbook) is the best
> Perl tutorial I've ever seen.  I've got DOZENS.  You can't live without the
> Camel, but it assumes you know what you are looking for.
>
> "Effective Perl Programming" is GREAT.  But don't try to read it until
> you've gone throught the Black Book, and have the Camel by
> your side when you do.
>
> The "Cookbook" is a gold mine.
>
> You NEED the Owl book, ie: "Mastering Regular Expressions"
>
> "Perl for System Administrators" is also pretty good, epecially
> if you are doing administration.
>
> If you are into objects, "Object Oriented Perl" is really good.  Damian Conway
> is brilliant.
>
> Anything by Sams should be burned.
>
> I've just scratched the surface.
>
> Note:  Everything you've said still tells me you are a nubie.  It felt like
> you claimed to be a DBA in your previous post but now you tell me you really
> do almost nothing.  But you are a known nubie who is trying.

I am Oracle DBA, I have one more test to pass for Official Oracle 9i
Certification.  The problem is that my compay's DB is rather simple.
Not a lot of data entry, 7 logins, No Hot backups, extent management is
simple (biggest row is 278 chars) and simple DB tasks are accomplished
with Oracle excellant Enterprise manager tool.

Unix Administration is a diffrent story, I would agree with your
assessment.  Unfortunately (or Fortunately for me!) I am the only one
with Unix/Linux skills at all.

The big bosses are NOT happy with this consultant at all and they are
trying to evaluate if it is feasible for me to take over.  If I can't do
it, i'll be the first to recommend hiring someone else.

> And it REALLY depends on the quality of the scripts being left behind
> on whether or not you would ever need to touch them.  If they break (and
> EVERYTHING breaks sooner or later) but you don't truly grok them,
> you WILL be doing damage when you make a change and don't
> realize the mistake.  It might take a year or 2 before you realize it,
> and it might be too late.

Trying to evaluate all that now.  No others in company has any of that
knowledge.

> You are welcome.  Enjoy.
>
> Barry

Thanks