Barry Roomberg on 20 Oct 2003 10:32:02 -0400

Re: [work] [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On Monday 20 October 2003 10:03 am, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I have a good chance to take over an outside consulting job that manages
> a CVS repository.  The requirements for the position are Unix shell
> scripting, perl scripting and CVS administration.

Note the word "requirements".

> I work with this model daily as the Oracle DBA for my company but this
> doesn't entail scripting.

Actually, it should.  The fact that it doesn't means you do a lot of things
by hand that you should have scripted.

> I also have basic programming skils and have made some really
> simple backup scripts.

This does not fulfill the requirements.

"Consulting" means you have an area of expertise that a company does
not have internally, which means they are willing to pay an external person
for these specific skills.

If you are presenting yourself as knowledgeable in these area yet
need entry level learning recommendations, this would mean you've lied
to get the job and you have a good possibility of destroying this
company's code repositories.

Does your contact in the company know your level of knowledge, consider
you a technical person, and therefor can "come up to speed"?  Or are
you presenting yourself as knowledgeable in these areas?

Either way, it is probably a BAD idea for this company to hire you.

Sorry.