Jesse Huestis on 20 Oct 2003 10:17:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] workstation raid recomendations

RAID 0 is not by its nature a performance booster. It is a great way to add redundancy. A better performance advantage is acheived using RAID 5. It has the reliability of striping your information accross several drives with one drive able to fail before losing the array and the performance increase of multiple drives read and write abilities.

Jesse

Mental wrote:

Hey, I'm going to be adding a raid volume to my system at home. I was
considering using the onboard high point raid controler until I realized
(thanks to google) that it is a glorified software raid. So now I'm
looking for a decent raid 0 controler. I'm not worried about fault
tolerance, just performance (thus that raid level). So fare 3ware seems to
be the most likely candidate for a controler card. So if anyone has used
these cards or has other recomendations, I'd be glad to hear about it. The
system in question is an athlon xp 2800+, 1G memory, running Debian (sid)
w/ 2.6.0-testX.

Windows interoperability is a good thing as there's no personal edition of maya for linux yet :)

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

All our father's backs are broken
And our prophets are insane