Joseph B. Welsh on 20 Oct 2003 11:12:02 -0400

Re: [work] [PLUG] Book Recommendation

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 10:27, Barry Roomberg wrote:
> On Monday 20 October 2003 10:03 am, Joseph B. Welsh wrote:
> > Hey List,
> >
> > I have a good chance to take over an outside consulting job that manages
> > a CVS repository.  The requirements for the position are Unix shell
> > scripting, perl scripting and CVS administration.
> >

> Note the word "requirements".
>

> > I work with this model daily as the Oracle DBA for my company but this
> > doesn't entail scripting.
>
> Actually, it should.  The fact that it doesn't means you do a lot of things
> by hand that you should have scripted.

Since we have a very simple OLTP database with 7 people connected to it
and we have automated backups and we are not 24 x 7. Your statement
about how much scripting I need to do  without knowing what we are doing
is rather useless to me.  We have been running this Oracle environment
for over 7 years without any problem.  I run a simple script to clear
the alert log once every 3 months and log itself is never that big.  So
the few repetitive tasks I do have to do I have scripted. Note that I
said I can write simple scripts and attach them as cron jobs.

> > I also have basic programming skils and have made some really
> > simple backup scripts.
>
> This does not fulfill the requirements.

I didn't suggest that it does... I was giving a overview of what I do
know how to do, so someone wouldn't suggest an advanced programming book
that I wouldn't have the fundementals to start using.

> "Consulting" means you have an area of expertise that a company does
> not have internally, which means they are willing to pay an external person
> for these specific skills.

I am not consulting, I work for the company already

My company wants to get rid of the consulting company they have.  They
are well aware of my skill set.  They asked me if I would be interested
in the job.  I have until March 2004 to demonstrate the needed
requirments for the job.  The consultant has detailed outlines and is
required to instruct me before his contract is up in March.  I was
trying to get recommendations on these skills, based on the guidelines
he wrote up.  He averages a total of 7-10 hours a week on
administration. He has written a lot of scripts to automate the
management and I thought it might be handy to know what the scripts did
and how they were written.

> If you are presenting yourself as knowledgeable in these area yet
> need entry level learning recommendations, this would mean you've lied
> to get the job and you have a good possibility of destroying this
> company's code repositories.

Your assumptions are not valid.

> Does your contact in the company know your level of knowledge, consider
> you a technical person, and therefor can "come up to speed"?  Or are
> you presenting yourself as knowledgeable in these areas?

I'm pretty sure that they knew what they asked me to do considering I
work there for quite a few years.

> Either way, it is probably a BAD idea for this company to hire you.

Too late, already work there and they are  pretty satisfied with the job
I do.

> Sorry.

Thanks for the book recommendations which is all I asked for.