Jesse Huestis on 20 Oct 2003 10:43:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] workstation raid recomendations

Sorry, I was think of mirroring.

Mental wrote:
On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 10:16:49AM -0400, Jesse Huestis wrote:

RAID 0 is not by its nature a performance booster.  It is a  great way
to add redundancy.  A better performance advantage is acheived using
RAID 5.  It has the reliability of striping your information accross
several drives with one drive able to fail before losing the array and
the performance increase of multiple drives read and write abilities.

Uhh.... What? Are you sure you're not thinking of raid 1 (mirroring)?

Raid 0 is striping, no mirroring, no redundancy. It exists for no other
reason than performance.

Raid 5 is striping with a parity volume distributed across the array. Raid 5
is certainly much slower than raid 0 on writes and it wastes a space on parity
data. I want to take 2 drives, turn them into one big filesystem and
read/write data quickly. If I was completely paranoid about non-replacable
mp3/avi/video game high scores... I'd be into raid5.

Definitions:
http://www.winnetmag.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=218

3ware benchmarks:
http://www.3ware.com/products/benchmarks.asp

--
Mental (Mental@NeverLight.com)

 I knew you once When you were young
 Before you knew What you'd become
 But that was then - And this is now
 You've lost your way - You've fallen down

--Assemblage 23

GPG public key: http://www.neverlight.com/pas/Mental.asc