eric@lucii.org on 21 Oct 2003 16:21:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Newbie -red hat 9 - how do I turn off gnome?

I believe you want to turn off X, not "gnome".  From a virtual console,
enter the command:  telinit 3

To prevent X from starting, you must edit the /etc/inittab file and
change the following line...
From:  id:5:initdefault:
To:    id:3:initdefault:

Next time you boot you'll have no X/GUI/Gnome.  Just VCs.

Eric

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 03:54:11PM -0400, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 03:34:41PM -0400, Douglas Lentz said:
> > I' m running Red Hat 9 on an old P200 w/64mb RAM and I would like to
> > turn off gnome & X. It's fine with me if I run the box in 100% pure text
> >
> > console mode, using virtual terminals and so forth. But, friends, I
> > think you will admit, they hid it good this time. Tried the Red Hat 7 (I
> > had a book)
> > instructions for stopping gnome, no dice. Sent a kill signal to the  X
> > server and it just started up again. Gnome help can't seem to
> > conceptualize why someone would want to turn it off, tried logout,
> > restarting in failsafe mode, unsucessful. Needless to say, box swaps to
> > disk like a  maniac.
> >
> > Do I have to do some kernel tweaking on this one? Thanks in advance.
>
> Look in /etc/inittab - I think that's where RH starts things like
> {x,g,k}dm from.  Comment the respawn line, and either reload init or
> reboot.
>
> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------------------
> |  Stephen Gran                  | Mos Eisley Spaceport; you will never    |
> |  steve@lobefin.net             | find a more wretched hive of scum and   |
> |  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | villainy...   -- Obi-wan Kenobi, "Star  |
> |  			         | Wars"                                   |

Philadelphia City Hall; you will never find a more wretched hive of scum
and villainy... -- Me (paraphrased), to my son as we walked downtown last year.
                   It appears that I understated the case :-)

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth