Douglas on 22 Oct 2003 19:16:01 -0400

RE: [PLUG] OT: Spam

Sorry I know this discussion should have been over long ago but....

What if a script were to replace all of the email addresses in all of the
messages that were sent too this list with links to a form where you could
send that email address a message directly (to ask that they send their
email address to you). You could do this after it were posted to the group
and before it was archived. So this:
Douglasmj1@comcast.net
Would be turned into a link to:
http://www.phillylinux.org/cgi-bin/remail?_ADSJDRWWPBV_&act=write
_ADSJDRWWPBV_ would correspond to my email address in the same database that
Keeps track of which email addresses to send the list too. The remail script
would produce a self refrencing form that sends email to the original email
address. In order to keep the bad guys out you could limit the ip's that
mail was sent from to 3 remails a day.

This is overkill, and underdeveloped and I am sure you have guessed that I
know nothing about the software that runs these lists but I hate for an idea
to go to waste. =)
-Douglas