Paul on 25 Oct 2003 13:16:02 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Eric Raymond in FastCompany Magazine!

Adam Turoff wrote:

On Sat, Oct 25, 2003 at 02:45:07AM -0400, Paul wrote:

Now Cisco doesn't need to worry as much about the two programmers leaving the Company. Now Cisco doesn't need to worry as much about getting rid of the two employees, or off-shoring their jobs! So, at least in this case, isn't open-sourcing the code good for Cisco and the world, but potentially detrimental to the creators of the code?

Releasing a project as open source *helps* these two programmers because
it shows Cisco that these two individuals are focused on creating value
and reducing cost. If anything, these programmers *benefit* because Cisco
is likely to have similar projects in the future and want to keep these
guys around, rather than hire outsiders from down the street or across
the ocean.

This sounds reasonable. However, Cisco could just start a public project to attract the voluteer maintainers of the code those two guys wrote, and have those maintainers create the new software that Cisco requires.

There are different ways to view the topic. The perspective that I'm taking, and usually take, is that of the individual worker. There is room for both closed source and open source. If closed source helps you to make money and have job security, maybe closed source is the right choice for your project.

I do see that launching a project is less likely if the Company isn't willing to continue paying employees to maintain it forever. So I guess open sourcing the project gets you short term benefits at your present job, plus public credit which can help you to secure future jobs.