Alex Birch on 25 Oct 2003 17:23:01 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Eric Raymond in FastCompany Magazine!

Paul wrote:

There are different ways to view the topic. The perspective that I'm taking, and usually take, is that of the individual worker. There is room for both closed source and open source. If closed source helps you to make money and have job security, maybe closed source is the right choice for your project.

This sounds similar to Eric Raymond's assessment http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/ar01s06.html

You're statement made me think of a quote attributed to Ben Franklin,
"Anyone who gives up freedom for security deserves neither."

I guess before I get too high and mighty, I should disclose that I'm working for a patent agency to pay the bills. Evaluating the evil software patents is part of the job.

Cheers,
Alex