Branimir Vasilic on 26 Oct 2003 23:09:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Sharing Latex document with Word users ?

> Any chance of twisting some arms and having your colleagues OO? If not

I don't think there's any point in forcing people to use something that they
don't want to, especially when LaTeX can also be a pain even when you know
it. People are busy and learning LaTeX takes time.  Also, some journals
prefer Word submissions so...

> OO can export equations to MathML for equations, I don't know if windows

I found that mixing MS Office and OopenOffice is still messy. It is pretty
good but not good enough for easy every day use. Equations do get imported
and exported but you then can't edit them in word. Sometimes they get
displayed incorrectly, font differences screw up formatting. You have to
waste too much time fixing things and if you don't have a windows machine
near by you basically don't know what you are sending to other people. I
found exporting to pdf to be a great option but people still prefer to be
able to edit the document in word.

  Brana