Magnus on 4 Nov 2003 11:59:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] FW: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

On Tuesday, November 4, 2003, at 08:42 AM, Kam Salisbury wrote:

The end of an era?

My boss wrote me a panicked email when he got that. Conveniently, RH neglected to mention the Fedora option. We're likely to be skipping it. I'm personally getting involved with http://www.caosity.org and lobbying to get my employer to let me spend time on the clock and use company-owned build boxes to further this project.

The web site is pretty sparse.  I'll give you the short version.

cAos has two distributions, EL (Enterprise Linux) and GP (General Purpose). EL is basically not much more than RHEL minus the trademarked bits. GP builds off of EL and extends EL.

cAos 1 is built off of RHAS 2.1. cAos 2 is built off of RHEL 3. Both cAos1gp and cAos2el are likely to be released simultaneously this month.

The project is community based with broad support. It has a social contract much like Debian. But architecturally it is more like Red Hat.

Most of the real meat of the project takes place in the mailing lists and the IRC channel. The web site makes this project look a lot less active than it really is.

--Magnus