Stephen Gran on 6 Nov 2003 07:57:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] NIC driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed)

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 11:24:16PM -0500, kaze said:
> --> [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org]On Behalf Of Paul
> --> Sent: Wednesday, November 05, 2003 8:28 PM
> --> To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
> -->
> --> Stephen Gran wrote:
> -->
> --> >No gateway listed.  What does route -n tell you?
> --> >
> --> >
> --> >
> --> >This might be routing problem.  What does syslog say when the
> --> tulip module
> --> >is loaded?  It might also be a funky card.
>
> While it might be the card, it is also something else, as I tried two
> different LNE-100TX cards, and one 3c905B. Way thinking it might be that PCI
> slot, but then the first LNE-100TX works in that slot under Windows 2000
> (still a dual boot system.)

OK, so it's probably not the cards.  Lets see /etc/network/interfaces
(or the equivalent from yur distro)

> -->
> --> That's what I was leaning toward.  At first glance the IPs suggest that
> --> the two computers are on the same subnet.  If they're not, and there's
> --> no gateway...
> -->
>
> The IP scheme is wack, but pre-dates me. The LAN is 10.1.1/24, the DMZ is
> 10.10.10/24. The gateways are 10.1.1.10 and 10.10.10.10, respectively.

Is this box on the LAN, or in the DMZ?  Your IP puts you in the DMZ, but
I thought you had said you were on the LAN.

> --> Also, the interfaces could be running at different speeds.  One
> --> might be
> --> running at 100Mbit while the other is running at 10Mbit.
>
> Everything in on 10/100 switches.

Good.

> Alas, I only go on-site once a week, and until I get the network card (and
> then ssh) working I can't do any troubleshooting till then. However, here is
> a route -n from a box on the same switch and subnet:

We need one from the box in question eventually, but this looks
reasonable.

|  Stephen Gran                  | If God had wanted us to be concerned    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | for the plight of the toads, he would   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | have made them cute and furry.    --    |
|  			         | Dave Barry                              |