Jon Nelson on 6 Nov 2003 11:20:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Re: FW: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

Tom Diehl said:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2003, Jon Nelson wrote:
>
>> Kam Salisbury said:
>> > The end of an era?
>> >
>> Is for me.  I am in the midst of installing Debian.
>> I know that they have the Fedora project, but I don't like how there is no
>> stable version and that there is no easy, set in place way of upgrading
installed packages (ie, apt-get, up2date).

> Huh!?!? Fedora has apt-get and yum. what is it you want?? If you are
going
> to pick apart something PLEASE do the homework. Also why do you think
there will

Actually up2date is in the package list (I missed it some how).  I
probably should have been more verbose about what I wanted and your right
I should have done my homework on Fedora.  Reading the FAQ I found that
Red Hat will provide errata and security patches for Fedora.  I think I
was in a little bit of shock from the email about the EOL and I developed
tunnel vision.

> not be a stable release?? Fedora Core 1 was released today.

>From http://fedora.redhat.com/:

"The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
product of Red Hat, Inc. ...

The Fedora Project is one of the sources for new technologies and
enhancements that may be incorporated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux in the
future. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the solution that provides a robust,
stable operating system supported by Red Hat, Inc. ..."

now I took from that that Fedora is the "unstable" version of RHE.  Maybe
unstable was too strong of a term, but they do call RHE "robust, stable"
but don't make the same claim about Fedora.

>> It's bumming me out and it's going to hurt a little, but I up for the
challenge.

> Why??

I am assuming that you mean why am I going to switch to Debian since my
aforementioned, uneducated reasons are null and void.  Well I don't like
the way Red Hat released this new corporate policy.  To me it was a shock.
 Also I have been trying to find what Fedora is based on, and haven't
found much.  This article explains a lot:

http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/01/1417208&mode=thread&tid=51

But I was looking for "Fedora is based on RH9..." or something like that.
If I knew that, I would probably feel better about Fedora.  To me it's too
new of a project and I would like something with more of a history.

Thanks for the slap upside the head...I needed that. ;)

Jon

> --
> ......Tom		Registered Linux User #14522	http://counter.li.org
> tdiehl@rogueind.com	My current SpamTrap ------->	mtd123@rogueind.com

Trooper Jon S. Nelson, Linux Certified Admin., CCNA
Pa. State Police, Bureau of Criminal Investigation
Computer Crimes Unit
Work: 610.344.4471 Cell/Page: 866.284.1603
jonelson@state.pa.us