Tom Diehl on 6 Nov 2003 13:24:02 -0500

[PLUG] Re: FW: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, Jon Nelson wrote:

> Tom Diehl said:

> >> Is for me.  I am in the midst of installing Debian.
> >> I know that they have the Fedora project, but I don't like how there is no
> >> stable version and that there is no easy, set in place way of upgrading
> installed packages (ie, apt-get, up2date).
> >
> > Huh!?!? Fedora has apt-get and yum. what is it you want?? If you are
> going
> > to pick apart something PLEASE do the homework. Also why do you think
> there will
>
> Actually up2date is in the package list (I missed it some how).  I
> probably should have been more verbose about what I wanted and your right
> I should have done my homework on Fedora.  Reading the FAQ I found that
> Red Hat will provide errata and security patches for Fedora.  I think I
> was in a little bit of shock from the email about the EOL and I developed
> tunnel vision.

FWIW up2date will also use yum and maybe apt repositories if configured to do so.
Not 100% sure about the apt repo thing though.

> > not be a stable release?? Fedora Core 1 was released today.
>
> >From http://fedora.redhat.com/:
>
> "The Fedora Project is a Red-Hat-sponsored and community-supported open
> source project. It is also a proving ground for new technology that may
> eventually make its way into Red Hat products. It is not a supported
> product of Red Hat, Inc. ...
>
> The Fedora Project is one of the sources for new technologies and
> enhancements that may be incorporated into Red Hat Enterprise Linux in the
> future. Red Hat Enterprise Linux is the solution that provides a robust,
> stable operating system supported by Red Hat, Inc. ..."
>
> now I took from that that Fedora is the "unstable" version of RHE.  Maybe
> unstable was too strong of a term, but they do call RHE "robust, stable"
> but don't make the same claim about Fedora.
>

> >> It's bumming me out and it's going to hurt a little, but I up for the
> challenge.
> >
> > Why??
>
> I am assuming that you mean why am I going to switch to Debian since my
> aforementioned, uneducated reasons are null and void.  Well I don't like
> the way Red Hat released this new corporate policy.  To me it was a shock.

Actually what I was trying to say was that you should not be bummed. Changing
distros is not necessary IMO. If you want to go through the pain and suffering
of switching distros, have a good time. I have often thought about trying other
distros but Red Hat has fulfilled my needs and I am ultra comfortable with it
so I have not bothered. I think it is always good to see how other distros do
things. Having said the above I will be the first one to admit that Fedora
will not be for everyone. If an ultra stable os with a 5+ year support life
is what you are looking for fedora is not for you. If you have been following
the 6 month release cycle and upgrading to the latest and greatest version
so you can have the newest toys than Fedora should fit this application. By
all accounts Fedora is going to fast moving. They expect to continue the 6
month devel cycle possibly a little faster. It is a decision that you must
make for yourself based on your needs.

>  Also I have been trying to find what Fedora is based on, and haven't
> found much.  This article explains a lot:
>
> http://www.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=03/10/01/1417208&mode=thread&tid=51
>
> But I was looking for "Fedora is based on RH9..." or something like that.
> If I knew that, I would probably feel better about Fedora.  To me it's too
> new of a project and I would like something with more of a history.

FWIW Fedora core 1 is what would have been RHL 10. I have been using it on
various test and some not mission critical production boxes for the last several
months. On the whole I have found it to be as good or better than previous RHL
versions.

> Thanks for the slap upside the head...I needed that. ;)

Didn;t mean to slap you upside the head. I probably should not write emails
at 2:00 am. :-)

HTH,

.....Tom