Stephen Gran on 14 Nov 2003 15:18:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] kdeinit could not launch kwrite

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:31:41AM -0500, Eugene Smiley said:
> I am posting this for the archives. Googling for "kdeinit could not
> launch kwrite" returns only one useful result out of 8. I figured I'd
> push it up the listings...
>
> <archivemode>
>
> http://www.mdlug.org/archives/mdlug/msg03882.html lists an issue much
> like mine. I was trying to do "File Manager - SU mode" in KDE to edit
> xinetd configs. When I'd right click > Open With > Kwrite, I'd get an
> error message "kdeinit could not launch kwrite".
>
> The issue was resolved by typing 'xhost +localhost' at a commandline.

Better would be 'xauth merge /home/eugene/.Xauthority' (assuming eugene
is your login).  This allows your su session to connect to eugene's
Xsession, but doesn't leave you open to others connecting to your X
apps.

|  Stephen Gran                  | Who is John Galt?                       |
|  steve@lobefin.net             |                                         |