gabriel rosenkoetter on 18 Nov 2003 21:32:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] software choice

On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 08:48:52PM -0500, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:22, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > I'm using the same crap the rest of you are. I just have the guts to
> > call it what it is.
> I think that you're in the wrong industry. You wanted _civil_
> engineering, not computer engineering. This industry is for people who
> don't expect everything to "just work".

There's a difference between wanting software to be better and
expecting it to be perfect.

I have problem when software's inadequate for bad reasons, not when
it's inadequate because it's doing the best it can to solve a hard
problem.

Displaying web pages is not a hard problem. So why's Mozilla so damn
slow and crash all the time? Because it's trying to do way too much,
and even if it's "only" the web browser portion, it's ridiculous
bloated with useless crap.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net