William H. Magill on 19 Nov 2003 11:18:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] software choice

On 18 Nov, 2003, at 20:48, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
On Tue, 2003-11-18 at 20:22, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
I'm using the same crap the rest of you are. I just have the guts to
call it what it is.

I think that you're in the wrong industry. You wanted _civil_ engineering, not computer engineering. This industry is for people who don't expect everything to "just work".

(I'll ignore the possibility that the above comment was made in jest.)

I'm sorry, but that is a "learned behavior" and simply not true.

The attitude that the Computing Industry shouldn't expect things to work is CRAP!

I've been in this business a very long time and without a doubt, the
software industry today, to use the vernacular,
"sucks big time, and they don't give a shit."
And now they are upset because their "jobs" are being farmed out to other
coders who don't give a damm either and who happen to live in India.

If American Software writers produced quality products, they wouldn't have
to worry about "foreign competition," but since "its good enough" is the
motto of the industry cheap labor can generate stuff that's "good enough"
cheaper than the expensive American's can.

The Computer Industry today is copying the Automotive Industry --
Arrogance and Laziness are their watchwords. Lack of concern and poor
to nonexistent quality controls are their mentors. ... and just this past week
we awoke to discover that, in terms of unit sales, the number two automobile
company in the world is no longer Ford, but Honda. That leaves Americans
with only General Motors at the top of the heap -- Chrysler now belongs to the
Germans, remember.

Those of us who entered the Computing Industry by way of Engineering believe
strongly that "things should work." That is the Engineer's job -- to take the crap the
designers come up with and "make it work."

There is only one Computing company that comes close to maintaining the
standards of Engineering and that is IBM.

SCO is so committed to quality and creativity that since they can't produce
anything, they want to prevent anybody else from creating anything either.

Novell is so committed to quality and creativity that they go out and buy what
they can't produce.

Ditto for what used to be Compaq and is now HP.

Sun has a myopic vision and enjoys beating a dead horse. They still think that
SPARC is real and that Solaris works.

Will the Open Source movement survive Linus? Probably not. Linux definitely
won't and without Linux entropy ensues and the "norm" reverts to Redmond.

The problem with the Computing Industry today is the attitude --
"Never install release 1.0 because it doesn't work."

T.T.F.N. William H. Magill # Beige G3 - Rev A motherboard - 768 Meg # Flat-panel iMac (2.1) 800MHz - Super Drive - 768 Meg # PWS433a [Alpha 21164 Rev 7.2 (EV56)- 64 Meg]- Tru64 5.1a magill@mcgillsociety.org magill@acm.org magill@mac.com