Walt Mankowski on 21 Nov 2003 14:58:02 -0500

[PLUG] Why am I running out of memory?

I've got a process that allocates huge chunks of memory to do matrix
manipulations.  It runs fine for smallish matrices, but when the
process size gets too big (somewhere on the order of 2 gigs, according
to top) it aborts.

This box appears to me to have plenty of memory -- 1.5 gigs of real
memory and another 76 gigs of swap.  There are no ulimits set.  When I
run it with strace, it goes along fine for a while, and then I start
seeing

  mmap2(NULL, 737284096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 ENOMEM (Cannot allocate memory)

That happens 4 times, and then it aborts.

Anyone have any idea why I can't get to all that swap space?

Walt