Tobias DiPasquale on 21 Nov 2003 18:06:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Why am I running out of memory?

On Fri, 2003-11-21 at 15:00, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> That happens 4 times, and then it aborts.
>
> Anyone have any idea why I can't get to all that swap space?

The process is being killed by the OOM (out-of-memory) killer. When
physical memory gets tight (since the kernel memory is not pageable) and
the kernel cannot allocate memory, it will run the OOM killer to free up
some memory. It kills the process currently running, which is invariably
your matrix-manipulation program. You can't get into all that swap
because the kernel runs out of memory before you get to use the
remaining swap. Move to 2.6 or 2.4.23pre and you will not have that
issue (the OOM killer is removed in these kernels).

--
Tobias DiPasquale, www.cbcg.net
88FA 30C9 1E63 CFE2 CBD8  37C4 DA1C E2BF 1D26 F036