Magnus on 25 Nov 2003 06:11:01 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XML, text, and the development of unix

On Monday, November 24, 2003, at 10:19 PM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

But, as rich and valuable as XML is, it makes ad hoc tool use more
difficult.  For example, if we were designing unix today, we might
spec the system files to use XML.  But, for example, now I might say

    grep /bin/bash /etc/passwd | wc -l

to find out how many users have set bash as their login shell, I'm not
sure how I could do that in a single line if /etc/passwd were
/etc/passwd.xml.

The example is only representative of standalone systems. Already our basic configuration files are being stored somewhere else, often in a non-text format. Your command would likely have to start with a ypcat on some older or less secure networks, or maybe ldapsearch on a newer network. If you were at any of the big universities using Hesiod you might need to use dig.

The UNIX & Linux community is adaptive. It must be. If /etc/passwd were ever to become /etc/passwd.xml, you can bet it'll take a couple of days before you see a listing on freshmeat.net for a tool that takes passwd.xml as STDIN and spits plain text passwd through STDOUT (and likely go the other way as well) which becomes part of your standard tool chain. Such a tool would likely evolve to grok the DTD's of most common system config files that end up using XML.

--

C. Magnus Hedemark
http://trilug.org/~chrish