Alex Birch on 25 Nov 2003 07:35:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] XML, text, and the development of unix

Adam Turoff wrote:
<snip>
Each of those files may have substructure: /etc/passwd is a set of colon
delimited fields, /etc/rc.conf is a shell program, Makefile is a little
language with a regular syntax, and so on.  grep alone may not be able to
pull out an entire make rule, but a crafty use of sed/awk/perl should be
able to pull out a single rule without too much trickery.

I think Makefile is a good example of how XML simplifies life. We can compare Makefile versus Ant for a while. I know that I lost a lot of time because I was using a spaced instead of tabs for my first make file.

After this discussion I have thought about starting x utilities for xml.

Much like zgrep works on compressed files; xgrep will work on xml files. It will be line-centric.

Oh, and then there's the need to make tools XML-aware.  A tool like spell
works because it's dealing with just text.  What should spell do with XML
data?  Does it fix up element names?  Does it fix up attribute names or
attribute contents?  How does it limit itself to just text (and possibly
comments) while ignoring elements (and possibly PI's).

That sounds like a good addition into the xml utilities group. Then you could easily use commandline options to change what is spell checked and what isn't.

Cheers,
Alex