kaze on 26 Nov 2003 13:48:02 -0500

[PLUG] sdb died; disk repair prompt and shell

Red Hat 9 box with the following partitions set up: (was Re: [PLUG] NIC
driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed))

o	/dev/sda	IBM DNES-309170Y
o	/dev/sda2	/boot		102 MB
o	/dev/sda3	/		3059 MB
o	/dev/sda4	extended
o	/dev/sda5	swap		510 MB
o	/dev/sda6	/var/log	1028 MB
o	/dev/sda1	W2S C: NTFS	3977 MB
o	/dev/sdb	SEAGATE ST39102LC
o	/dev/sdb1	/var/spool	8676 MB
o	/dev/sdc	SEAGATE ST39102LC - unused (for W2S D: use for Exchange disaster
recovery or whatever)

sdb and sdc are refurbished hard drives. There were five refirbs in this box
once, three already died, now four. That's kind of why I have this box
though...

Anyway, sdb died. Maybe a slight bump when I re-racked the box, it died
while the machine was powered off.

When I powered it up the drive wouldn't spin up, then in the OS load Red Hat
stopped with a disk repair prompt, control D to continue (which then
rebooted and came back to the exact same spot, reseating the drive then
swapping SCSI ID1 and ID2 did nothing either) or enter root password to
repair. The dropped me to a shell where the prompt incremented 1, 2, 3,
etc..

Questions for PLUG:

The issue is there is no /var/spool to mount? What I'm thinking is create a
spool director somewhere, and then edit /etc/fstab to now point to this. Is
this the right approach?
What is this state or shell called, so I can search on it more myself?

- Zake