Tom Diehl on 26 Nov 2003 14:55:03 -0500

[PLUG] Re: sdb died; disk repair prompt and shell

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003, kaze wrote:

> Red Hat 9 box with the following partitions set up: (was Re: [PLUG] NIC
> driver installation howto? (newbieish level help needed))
>
> o	/dev/sda	IBM DNES-309170Y
> o	/dev/sda2	/boot		102 MB
> o	/dev/sda3	/		3059 MB
> o	/dev/sda4	extended
> o	/dev/sda5	swap		510 MB
> o	/dev/sda6	/var/log	1028 MB
> o	/dev/sda1	W2S C: NTFS	3977 MB
> o	/dev/sdb	SEAGATE ST39102LC
> o	/dev/sdb1	/var/spool	8676 MB
> o	/dev/sdc	SEAGATE ST39102LC - unused (for W2S D: use for Exchange disaster
> recovery or whatever)
>
> sdb and sdc are refurbished hard drives. There were five refirbs in this box
> once, three already died, now four. That's kind of why I have this box
> though...
>
> Anyway, sdb died. Maybe a slight bump when I re-racked the box, it died
> while the machine was powered off.
>
> When I powered it up the drive wouldn't spin up, then in the OS load Red Hat
> stopped with a disk repair prompt, control D to continue (which then
> rebooted and came back to the exact same spot, reseating the drive then
> swapping SCSI ID1 and ID2 did nothing either) or enter root password to
> repair. The dropped me to a shell where the prompt incremented 1, 2, 3,
> etc..
>
> Questions for PLUG:
>
> The issue is there is no /var/spool to mount? What I'm thinking is create a
> spool director somewhere, and then edit /etc/fstab to now point to this. Is
> this the right approach?
> What is this state or shell called, so I can search on it more myself?

Single user mode. It is just a shell so you can make repairs by hand. I would
suggest simply commenting out the /var/spool partition in /etc/fstab and making
sure the /var/spool directory exists. Reboot and if that is the only error the
machine should come up.  Once it is up you can rearrange things as necessary.
Do you really need a seperate /var/spool partition??

.....Tom