kaze on 26 Nov 2003 16:41:02 -0500

RE: [PLUG] Re: sdb died; disk repair prompt and shell

--> > The issue is there is no /var/spool to mount? What I'm
--> thinking is create a
--> > spool director somewhere, and then edit /etc/fstab to now
--> point to this. Is
--> > this the right approach?
--> > What is this state or shell called, so I can search on it more myself?
-->
--> Single user mode. It is just a shell so you can make repairs by
--> hand. I would
--> suggest simply commenting out the /var/spool partition in
--> /etc/fstab and making
--> sure the /var/spool directory exists. Reboot and if that is the
--> only error the
--> machine should come up.  Once it is up you can rearrange things
--> as necessary.

Thanks!

--> Do you really need a seperate /var/spool partition??
-->

I think so, am following this Spam Assassin howto,
http://www.geocities.com/scottlhenderson/spamfilter.html, and it says, in
part, "-make a partition to mount at /var/spool, type ext3. If you want, you
can select the option to allow this partition to use all the remaining space
on the disk. This partition will be the temporary holding space for emails
coming through, and those waiting in queue for delivery. It should be at
least a couple of GB, unless you have a very small operation. Remember, it
must be at least larger than any single email you intend to allow in the
door!..."