John McElroy on 29 Nov 2003 18:24:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What Does "Install" Really Mean

Jeb,
run 'man rpm' to display a man (or manual) page for rpm that will give
you a full listing of all commandline options for rpm.  Here are the
basics of the few examples you asked about:

rpm -ql <pkgname>   add the 'l' after 'q' to list all the files
provided/installed by the package and their locations.

rpm -qs <pkgname>   add the 's' after the 'q' to provide the state of
the package and the files it provides

rpm -i <filename> installs the specified package - add 'v' to
verify and 'h' to display hash marks indicating installation progress
(you'll see a second row of hashmarks under the preparing row during
installation). Use the full filename here (e.g. gaim-0.74-1rh9.i386.rpm)
vs. the package name (gaim).

rpm -e <pkgname> erases or "uninstalls" the package specified

as so on...see the man page for a very detailed description of all
parameters.

I hope this helps.