Jeb Bushell on 29 Nov 2003 15:14:02 -0500

[PLUG] What Does "Install" Really Mean

I am trying to use RPM to "install" the contents of a .rpm file on Redhat 9.  I understand the ins
and outs of Windows installation fairly well but I have no idea how it works on Linux and I have
been unable to Google up a satisfactory explanation.

If anyone could direct me to a high-level overview of software installation on Linux I'd be most
grateful. I need to know, for example, where dlls are kept and how the OS references them.

Also, having installed a package somewhere (I think I know where) I get the following from RPM:

rpm -e <pkg>
error: package <pkg> is not installed

rpm -ivh <pkg>
Package <pkg> is already installed