eric@lucii.org on 29 Nov 2003 18:41:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What Does "Install" Really Mean

On Sat, Nov 29, 2003 at 12:13:55PM -0800, Jeb Bushell wrote:
> I am trying to use RPM to "install" the contents of a .rpm file on Redhat 9.  I understand the ins
> and outs of Windows installation fairly well but I have no idea how it works on Linux and I have
> been unable to Google up a satisfactory explanation.
>
> If anyone could direct me to a high-level overview of software installation on Linux I'd be most
> grateful. I need to know, for example, where dlls are kept and how the OS references them.
>
> Also, having installed a package somewhere (I think I know where) I get the following from RPM:
>
> rpm -e <pkg>
> error: package <pkg> is not installed
>
> rpm -ivh <pkg>
> Preparing ############################# [100%]
> Package <pkg> is already installed
>
> rpm -q <pkg>
> package is not installed
>
> Can anyone shed some light, please?
>
> TIA
>
> Jeb

I find it best to try the install with "rpm -Uv" or "rpm -Uvv" (even
more copious output.)  It sounds like some "post" script is not running
and so it's not really "installed".  Is this samba by chance?  I ran
into this with samba on Mandrake 9.2

Eric

--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth