Thomas Thurman on 29 Nov 2003 19:26:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] What Does "Install" Really Mean

On Sun, Nov 30, 2003 at 12:11:42AM +0000, Thomas Thurman wrote:
> not quite-- /usr is the stuff that isn't directly needed to keep the whole
> show on the road... so essential programs like ld, ls, bash, rm, cat, su
> and so on go in /bin, but all other system-wide binaries go in /usr/bin,
> the most important libraries (like libc) are in /lib, and the rest are
> in /usr/lib, and so on.
>
> private directories for every user go under /home, not /usr.

fwiw, a little investigation has shown me that /usr *was* the place for
private directories under the Seventh Edition release of Unix back in 1979.
for example:

   http://minnie.tuhs.org/PUPS/Setup/v7_setup.html

under "New Users" has an example user "joe" who gets "/usr/joe" as its home
directory.

this isn't the way linux does things, though-- see:

   http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.2/fhs-4.1.html

but for all i know it might still be how various other unixes still work.