Ian Reinhart Geiser on 1 Dec 2003 14:32:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] iptables question

On Monday 01 December 2003 02:01 pm, Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2003 at 01:44:05PM -0500, Ian Reinhart Geiser said:
> > Hi,
> > Im not even sure how to google for this question so if anyone could
> > even give me a hint on what to google for that would be awesome.
> >
> > Basicly I have an iptables based firewall running on debian stable.  I
> > am already forwarding ports with success but now I would like to do
> > port redirection based on the hostname requested.  IE, ssh to
> > cvs.kdedevelopers.org currently gives me the firewall... but I would
> > like to have it forward to the system that hosts cvs.kdedevelopers.org
> > that lies on a private IP.  Can I do this without changing the port
> > SSH is on the firewall?
> >
> > 	Any hints would be great.
> >
> > Cheers
> > 	-ian reinhart geiser
>
> I take it you have an arrangement like this:
>
> Internet
>

> Firewall
>
> LAN boxes
>
> Correct?

yes.

> And you want the firewall to redirect incoming ssh requests to one of
> the LAN boxes.
well multiple, there are 3 boxes total, each with their own CVS servers over
ssh.

> I don't think trying to redirect by fqdn is a good idea (think DNS
> timeouts and such), but doing it by IP is straightforward.
>
> iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -i eth0 -p tcp --dport 22 -d $IP_OF_CVS \
>     -j DNAT --to-destination $INTERNAL_IP
Yes im aware of this, please read the email next time ;)

What i really want is to forward via FQDN but there seems to be no real
information on the subject.  So im assuming it may not be possible.

Cheers
	-ian reinhart geiser

- --
- --:Ian Reinhart Geiser <geiseri@yahoo.com>
- --:Public Key: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publickey.asc
- --:Public Calender: http://geiseri.myip.org/~geiseri/publicevents.ics
- --:Jabber: geiseri@geiseri.myip.org
- --:Be an optimist -- at least until they start moving animals in
- --:   pairs to Cape Canaveral. ~ Source Unknown