Mike Leone on 2 Dec 2003 12:51:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Completelty removing KDE from Debian testing? - SOLVED?

Mike Leone (turgon@mike-leone.com) had this to say on 12/02/03 at 10:54:
> I've got a Debian testing box that I'm going to be moving onto a DMZ. At the
> moment, it has a binch of unncessary WM and environments on it. Anybody know
> of a (hopefullly simple!) set of apt commands to completely remove and purge
> KDE? Is there some kind of meta-task package that I can just purge, and it
> will rip all of KDE out?

Well, apparently, if you do a

apt-get purge poxml

Debian wants to remove all of KDE while it's at it.

(ain't interlocking dependencies between packages a glorious thing? :-)

Specifically, all of these packages:

amor ark artsbuilder cervisia eyesapplet kaboodle kaddressbook kalarm
kalarmd kandy kaphorism kappfinder karbon karm kate kbabel kbugbuster
kcalc kcharselect kchart kcmlinuz kcoloredit kcontrol kcron kdat kdcop
kdeadmin kdeartwork kdeartwork-screensaver kdeartwork-style
kdeartwork-theme-window kdebase-bin kdebugdialog kdeedu kdelibs
kdelibs-bin kdelibs4 kdelibs4-dev kdenetwork kdepasswd kdepim
kdeprint
kdesdk kdesktop kdessh kdeutils kdf kdict kdvi kedit keduca kfax
kfile-graphics-plugins kfind kfloppy kformula kfract kgeo kghostview
khelpcenter khexedit khotkeys kicker kiconedit kit kivio kjots
klaptopdaemon klettres klipper kljettool klpq klprfax kmail
kmenuedit
kmessedwords kmid kmix kmoon kmtrace knewsticker knode knotes kodo
koffice koffice-libs kompare konqueror konqueror-nsplugins konsole
kontour korganizer korn koshell kpackage kpager kpaint kpersonalizer
kpf
kpilot kppp kpresenter kruler kscd kscreensaver ksirc ksmserver ksnapshot
ksplash kspread kspy kstars ksysguard ksysv kteatime ktimer ktip ktouch
ktux kugar kuser kview kviewshell kvoctrain kweather kwin kword
kworldclock kwuftpd kxkb kxmlrpc libkcal2 libkdenetwork2 libkgantt0
libkonq4 libkregexpeditor lisa noatun poxml secpolicy

poxml - "This is a collection of tools that facilitate translating DocBook
XML files using gettext message files (PO-files)." Never gonna be useful to
me, especially on a mailserver on a DMZ. :-)

So apparently I will be KDE-less, as soon as it finishes upgrading a few
libraries, and purging out the above list. Wonder if I can find a similar
command for GNOME ....?