Stephen Gran on 5 Dec 2003 11:40:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian - GNOME seems to have disappeared ...

On Fri, Dec 05, 2003 at 10:52:06AM -0500, Jeff Abrahamson said:
> On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 11:16:51PM -0500, Michael Leone wrote:
> >   [15 lines, 123 words, 699 characters]  Top characters: enotasir
> >
> > Running Debian unstable. I usually run KDE, from the command line (i.e.,
> > from startx, not from some GUI display manager). Anyway, tonight I
> > decided to go into GNOME instead, so I changed my exec line in .xsession
> > to read "exec gnome-session", and I startx.
> >
> > Up comes the GNOME splash screen (v2.4). Then ... nothing. Blank blue
> > screen. :-) Almost as if there was no WM to be executed. Not even a
> > mouse pointer. I have to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE out of X entirely.
>
> Could this have something to do with the goofiness in Debian testing
> where it's half gnome 1.4 and half gnome 2, resulting in gnome not
> working?
>
> I don't know what to expect in unstable, testing is iffy enough
> lately.

Check ~/.xsession-errors to see what the problem is.  There was an issue
a while back with one of the GNOME libs (libbonobo?  Can't quite
remember).  I thought that was fixed though.

As others have said, GNOME has switched to a gconf-registry sysytem for
handling details like what WM to use and so on, and they have decided
that the default is going to be metacity, instead of allowing any
compliant WM.  *sigh* - starting to smack too much of Windows for my
tastes, but that's what they want, I guess.  If your old GNOME setup
used a different WM, you may run into some problems.

If ~/.xsession-errors has nothing that looks fixable, and you're still
getting problems, make sure you have metacity installed, mv your old
setup out of the way (should be ~/.gnome ~/.gnome2 ~/.gnome-private
~/.gnome2-private) and try again - it may be some difficulty related to
your particular setup.  If none of that gets you anywhere, write back,
I'll try to dig up the library issue and the fix.  It should be in the
archives of debian-gtk-gnome@lists.d.o if you want to look through, but
I think you'll have to search via google - lists was still down last I
looked.

|  Stephen Gran                  | When man calls an animal "vicious", he  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | usually means that it will attempt to   |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | defend itself when he tries to kill it. |