David Kaplowitz on 6 Dec 2003 00:11:02 -0500

Re: [PLUG] network security thoughts/questions

> Any advice?

No advice, per se, just some recent experience trying to set up a
relatively secure home network with somewhat similar needs. I've been
running a WAN/LAN/DMZ network using an OpenBSD box with 3 NICs and pf.
It's kind of like your #1 with a little bit of #3 thrown in.

I like the idea of keeping my DNS and WWW on a DMZ network that's
separate from the LAN where I run my workstations and more experimental
stuff. But I'm willing to keep those machines removed from each other on
separate networks, which might not suit your needs.

I use pf redirection to forward external traffic coming to the interface
bearing the 3 IPs my ISP gives me and into my DMZ hosts, which are
NAT'ed using private IPs (192.168.1.0/24). I don't allow anything to
forward into my LAN, except for the maintenance of session state. I
allow just about anything out, but could lock that down further if I
wanted to create a ruleset to support that.

I'd be curious to hear what other people are doing for similar
setups..and what you decide on.

Good luck,

Dave