Jeff Abrahamson on 5 Dec 2003 16:50:04 -0500

[PLUG] network security thoughts/questions

One of my Winter break projects is to improve security in my lab.  I'm
interested in your experienced thoughts lest I overlook something
obvious.

What I have now is a half dozen linux boxes (and a Windows box whose
fate is unimportant to me).  I have IP addresses for all of them.
They are on the same subnet with the rest of the CS department.

Scenario 1 (private LAN): make one box the gateway, put two ethernet
interfaces on it, and put all other boxes on a private network
(192.168.0.0) behind the gateway.

Scenario 2 (public LAN): make on box a gateway, put two ethernet
interfaces on it, and put all other boxes behind it, but still with
their existing ip addresses.

Scenario 3 (harden only): leave them as they are now, just harden the
iptables rules on them to make sure they make sense.

The only services we run that are needed from the outside are a lab
web server, sshd, and sfs_server (an authenticated, encrypted NFS that
I have not yet set up, but plan to as part of this project).

In option 1, I'd either run sshd and sfs_server on the gateway or open
tunnels for them to some inside machine.  In options 2 and 3, I would
run whatever services I need to on each machine.

I will admit up front that I don't understand the pros and cons of
scenario 2 very well.

Comparing 1 and 3, the private LAN of 1 seems simpler and more secure,
but may be more intrusive to operations and people's workflow.  In
addition, I wonder how long it will be before there's some problem
with key authentication, either with SFS (in which host names and
public keys must match) or with ssh (to scp past the gateway in one
step, I would typically first ssh over it with "ssh
-L8022:inside-machine:22 gw" and then "scp -P 8022 foo localhost:foo"
to copy foo to inside-machine.)

Three seems like it could be made almost as secure as 1, except that
if someone opens an insecure port on a workstation, it will be seen in
the outside world.  Also, there's more to pay attention to.  On the
other hand, there's a lot of simplicity in running services.

An additional advantage of the private LAN solution of (1) is that a
compromise of the gateway doesn't risk internal data.

Any advice?

--
 Jeff