Bob Schwier on 7 Dec 2003 12:30:03 -0500

Re: [PLUG] panic

On Sun, 7 Dec 2003, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

> On Sun, 2003-12-07 at 11:44, Bob Schwier wrote:
> > The hard drive comes on on a Gateway and winds through its tests
> > which it calls raids and then it crashes right after autorun
> > saying:
> > "Kernal panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:01"
> > I don't even know what flavor of Linux or Unix this drive has.
> > As it claims to see the CD-ROM, something that the install disks
> > for SUSE and Redhat don't, I would like to get it to work.
> > I've been through three separate CD drives, two of which I know
> > were good.
> > Worse than the install disks not seeing the CD-ROM is that I can't
> > get the bios to see and react to it even as it is supposedly bootable.
> > bs
>
> Sounds like your BIOS sucks ;-) It sounds as if the BIOS is not
> recognizing your hardware and thus telling the OS bad stuff. You're
> going to have to find a way to get the BIOS to recognize the CD-ROM
> drive. After you do that...
>
> ...either your hard drive is damaged or your /etc/fstab is incorrect.
> Boot off of a CDROM rescue disc and make sure fstab is entirely correct
> and then reboot and try again. If that doesn't work (i.e. it still
> doesn't boot after its entirely right), check the BIOS and make sure the
> HDD is recognized by the BIOS. If after that it still doesn't boot, look
> at getting a new HDD.
>
> P.S. If this machine is using software RAID, check out /etc/raidtab as
> well and make sure that's entirely correct.
>
> --
> Tobias DiPasquale, www.cbcg.net
> 202A 04C4 2CE6 B985 8520  88D6 CD25 1A6C B9B5 1595

Yes, the bios sucks.  I found an old 204 meg hard drive kept back for
testing purposes and put it on line with its antique DOS config.sys
and autoexec.bat set up for a system with a CD-ROM.  It did not
see the blasted thing either.
If I cannot get to the CD-ROM, I'm feeling kind of stuck.
I don't have a functioning LINUX machine to produce floppies to talk to
this machine with.
bs